What Is Antivirus?
Antivirus is a type of computer program that's designed to seek out and remove computer viruses that have infected your computer. They can also block your system from getting infected with new viruses.
There are antivirus programs available for every operating system, including Windows, Mac OS, Android, iPhone, and even Linux.
The word "antivirus" is a misnomer, considering that most of these applications can also clean any form of malware from your system, not only viruses.
The Best Antivirus Software of 2020
- The Threat of Malware
The presence of viruses and other malware on the internet is constant and always changing. Hackers are constantly developing new forms of software for any number of purposes.
- Steal personal information from your computer files
- Steal bank or credit count login information use keyboard logger software
- Turn your computer into a "bot" to perform email spamming and Denial of Service (DDOS) attacks
- Randomly pop up ad windows while you're using your computer
- Pop up ransomware threats to get you to send money
Some of these threats are more serious than others, but in almost every case, a virus consumes CPU, memory, and other system resources that reduce your productivity and put your privacy at risk.
- Open a web browser and navigate to norton.com/setup.
- Enter your Norton account credentials, if prompted.
- Search movies by using a famous quote from the movie
- Norton's Get Started page should now be visible, as shown in the accompanying screenshot. Select the Download Norton option.
- Click Agree & Download, located below the Install On This Device header.
- The Norton setup file should now be downloaded to your browser's default location, typically the Windows Downloads folder or your desktop. Once the download is complete, locate the file and open it to begin the installation process.
- The My Norton Downloader application should now appear. Once the necessary files are downloaded, a Windows User Account Control warning will be displayed, asking if you want to allow the Norton Security app to make changes to your device. Click Yes to continue.
- The My Norton Installer interface will now be displayed. Click Install.
- The Device Security package will now be installed. A slideshow is presented during the installation process, detailing some of the dangers that Norton protects you from. This process can take several minutes, depending on the speed of your computer.
- Next, a message will appear that states 'Communicating with the Norton server...' This will be shown for 1-2 minutes and will then change to read 'Activating...'. Once successfully activated, the Installer window will inform you that your device is now protected, disappearing a few seconds later.
- The Norton Security application will now open, welcoming you and offering a tour of its features. Select the Start Tour button if you like, or click on Skip Tour to continue.
- The Norton Security dashboard should now be displayed, showing your protection and recent scan status. From here you can manage Norton's settings, view your subscription status, initiate manual virus scans and much more.
Latest news & updates
- What is antivirus
- Protect Your PC With Windows Defender
- How to get rid of persistent malware
- Ransomware holds computers hostage